Thursday, February 25, 2010

Networking Event

I attended an ISES event last night in Philadelphia at Del Frisco's on Chestnut Street. Great venue, fantastic food and an open bar. What more could an event professional ask for???

Anyways - during the evening's presentation by Evan Marcus, we were asked to participate in a "faux" networking session in which we introduced ourselves to strangers in the room asking them this:

"How can I help you?"

Now, at first I thought - well that's easy. I'll just march right up to someone, stick out my hand, introduce myself and ask them the question.

What I found difficult, however, was being on the receiving end of this question.

What do you say when someone asks how they can help you?

It was a really interesting exercise.

In the end, this question led to more dialog - asking for clarification on what it is each of us did - how our companies could partner, where we could find common practices. It ended up being a really insightful conversation and has led me to consider asking this question in real life situations.

What would YOU say to someone when they ask you this question???

No comments:

Post a Comment